Skip to content

Website cookies

This website uses cookies to help us understand the way visitors use our website. We can't identify you with them and we don't share the data with anyone else. If you click Reject we will set a single cookie to remember your preference. Find out more in our privacy policy.

Other organisations that can help

Here are some other organisations who could help you.
Crisis and emergency help

If your life is at risk now:

  • call 999 for an ambulance
  • go straight to A&E, if you can
  • or call your local crisis team, if you have their number

If you’re struggling to cope:

The Samaritans provide support for anyone who’s having a difficult time. Call free on 116 123 any time or email

Drugs and alcohol

Drug and alcohol services

Every local area in England has a drug and alcohol service. To access yours, you can speak to your GP, or visit the website and of your local council and search for drug and alcohol help.

SMART Recovery helps participants decide whether they have a problem, builds up their motivation to change and offers a set of proven tools and techniques to support recovery.



N.A. is a non-profit fellowship of recovering addicts who meet regularly to help each other stay clean.



Alcoholics Anonymous provides a programme for recovery from alcoholism led by recovering alcoholics.


Alcohol Change provide self-help and information if you’re worried about your drinking:

Families and loved ones

Drug and alcohol support for families

Al-Anon Family Groups provide support to anyone whose life is, or has been, affected by someone else’s drinking.


Families Anonymous provides Support for families and friends concerned about drug abuse or related behavioural problems.


Nar Anon family groups support those affected by someone else’s drug use.


Adfam is the only national umbrella organisation working specifically with and for families affected by drugs and alcohol


Children and young people

Childline offers a free, private and confidential service where you can talk about anything. It’s for children and young people aged under 19.


Alateen runs regular meetings where young people can access a private space to talk about their problems and share tips on how to cope.


National Association for the Children of Alcoholics offers information, advice and support to everyone affected by a parent’s drinking.


Families and imprisonment

The National Prisoners’ Families Helpline offers support for families who have a loved one in contact with the criminal justice system.


The Prison Advice and Care Trust (Pact) is a national charity that provides support to prisoners, people with convictions, and their families.


The government provides information about how to stay in touch with someone in prison


Caring for someone with a drug problem can be very stressful. The NHS social care and support guide provides emotional, practical and financial support to help you cope.


The Carers’ Trust provides advice for carers on topics including finances, wellbeing and legal matters.

Finding work, training or apprenticeships

Looking for apprenticeships or traineeships in England?

The National Apprenticeship Service provides and advice and guidance, and you cans search for opportunities.

Find out more:


A traineeship is a course with work experience for people aged 16 to 24. It gets you ready for work or an apprenticeship.

Find out more:


Looking for careers advice and ideas?

The National Careers Service provides information, advice and guidance to help you make decisions on learning, training and work. It’s available to be people living in England.


The GetMyFirstJob Career Profiler can help you understand the career areas you would be best suited to.


Want to find out if you’re eligible for benefits?

Universal Credit can help cover your living costs while you’re looking for work or are I low-pad work. Citizens Advice has lost of useful information, including finding out if you’re eligible and how to apply:


Want information about on how a criminal conviction could affect your employment?

Unlock’s Information Hub is comprehensive source of online self-help information on a wide range of issues that criminal convictions can affect.


GamCare provides free information, advice and support for anyone affected by gambling harms.

Housing and homelessness

If you’re homeless, Crisis can offer you expert help to find safe housing, an opportunity to gain new skills plus wellbeing and safety advice at their Skylight centres.


Shelter provides a range of information and guidance on homeless and housing options


Homeless Link provides a searchable database of homeless services, helping you to find local support:

Learning difficulties and disabilities

Mencap provides information, advice and support for everyday living, friendships and relationships, children, and health and wellbeing.


Natspec provides a list of colleges in the UK offering specialist further education for people with learning difficulties or disabilities. 


If you’re disabled or have a physical or mental health condition that makes it hard for you to do your job, you can get extra help from the government’ Access to Work scheme. Support is based on your needs, and may include a grant to help cover the costs of practical support in the workplace.


Mental health

If you need help now, Mind provides lots of information to help you understand and manage your situation. You can also speak to one of the team directly by calling their Infoline or Legal line.


If you’re worried that you are developing a mental health problem, speak to your GP GP. The Mental Health Foundation offers guidance on how to do this:


If you want to speak to someone about what’s on your mind, you can call The Samaritans for free:

Other sources of help

Online chat

Get confidential advice and support from our friendly team.

Get support